Monday 14 January 2013

40things

I am 40 this year.

I don't think I am a particularly hysterical or emotional person, but this still feels like a significant milestone. Like I should know myself and what to do with my life for example. All the normal stuff, you know, am I making a difference, am I spending my influence wisely, are my priorities straight, is my time being well spent, am I developing in the right direction (the waistline certainly is not)?

As usual I wrote a list (I know, it's an addiction - especially since discovering Wunderlist) of all the things I hope to achieve this year, and the projects I am involved in, the goals I need to achieve for the house, for church, my work projects, and I saw that I have a busy, interesting and, as usual, massively underpaid year ahead!

I also wrote my 6X6 (thankyou Bill Hybels) - which are my six priorities for the next six weeks (or half term more realistically).

All good.

But I don't want this year to pass in a whirlwind of work, volunteering, teenage diaries and chaos without feeling I had done something special. However, I don't have the funds for a trip to New York or Prague, and I really am not interested in climbing a mountain or cycling across the country.

So I decided to make the year more interesting, by including 40 different things. Some easy, some a bit more challenging, some free, some which might be a bit more financially dependent, some which will seem ridiculous to others who can easily do these things, but are significant to me.

And here they are. I want you to know, so you can check up on me to make sure I am making time in my life for them! And I will be writing each month to let you know how it's going - that's one of the #40things anyway!


1.       Eat at Wagamamas (no, I never have)

2.       Eat at Nandos (no, I never have)

3.       Have tea at the Savoy or somewhere equally lush

4.       Write a book

5.       Write a song

6.       Go Sailing

7.       Have a family picnic in the middle of nowhere

8.       Paint a picture

9.       Go to a London show

10.   Take Naomi and Izzy away overnight for a girly trip

11.   Celebrate 20th Wedding Anniversary by doing something special

12.   Go to the Cinema during the day on my own armed with chocolate

13.   Write a poem with 40 public speaking tips in it

14.   Play the accordion in front of people (even if people laugh!)

15.   Start a family tree

16.   Put all the photos into albums

17.   Take up Photography

18.   Kayak along the Hamble

19.   See a live orchestra/band

20.   Fly in a hot air balloon (well, we will see....)

21.   Watch a series box set

22.   Lose at least ½ stone (OK, not a fun goal, but I will like the result)

23.   Go to an auction and bid

24.   Spend at least a day on retreat

25.   Bake a posh cake (seriously, I have never even tried)

26.   Cook a curry from scratch (ie - not from a jar!)

27.   Speak at a youth event

28.   Have a 40th birthday celebration

29.   Host/Present 2 training events

30.   Host a minimum of 4 pudding parties to get to know people better

31.   Visit Wales at least 3 times

32.   Do something new for work/business/public speaking

33.   Visit Brownsea Island

34.   Eat Mussels and Crepes in France (we're going anyway to speak there)

35.   Read 2 classic books, 2 Autobiographies, 2 faith-focused books, 2 self development books and 2 fiction books.

36.   Volunteer at something new

37.   Write 12 blog posts

38.   Build something amazing out of lego

39.   Visit a museum

40.   Go on a long walk
 
I must thank all the people on facebook and twitter who helped with suggestions and encouragement. I have, at almost 40 got the most incredible bunch of friends. I am very grateful for them all.
So here is to a fun-filled, fruitful and fulfilling fortieth year!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment